Just as it is among men, narcissism, a dysfunctional behavior is also common among women.
The following traits provided by experts, victims and survivors of emotional abuse and those who had at a time encountered female narcissists; all give detailed explanation to narcissism among women.
Watch video or continue reading
- A female narcissist is good at marketing herself. Being the most charming person in the room, you can’t take that away from her; as she craves for attention.
- A narcissist female lacks common courtesy. She’s convinced that the reason for her existence is to make the world complete, thus, sees no reason to reciprocate empathy to others.
- When in a relationship, a female narcissist disengages, use neglect and abandonment to punish her partner.
Read also: Empathetic Person: 8 Signs You Are Above Average
- Female narcissist lacks the ability to process shame i.e. has difficulty apologizing when found guilty.
- She is unpredictable in her moods. Due to pride and other traits, a narcissist won’t open up to you what she actually wants.
- Study shows female narcissists will apologized profusely if backed into a corner i.e capable to regret wrong doings just for short-term, it won’t be long when she returns to narcissistic patterns.
Read: Glaring Difference Between Being a Narcissist and Having High Self-esteem
- She belittles your accomplishments, hopes and dreams.
- A female narcissist is prone to envy. She seeks opportunity to undermine others, though pretends she’s contented with what she’s got.
- She focuses her attention on makeup, and more likely to have plastic surgery.
- She is unreasonably jealous.
- A female narcissist seeks favorable treatment. She believes that she deserve to have every good thing the world has.
- Narcissist enjoys being photographed. She places much priority in getting her best portrait on social media sites.
Read: How Social Media Makes Us Narcissistic [Infographic]
- She believes she’s intellectually superior to peers.
Further readings: Paul Wink: The Three Types of Narcissism in Women. Institute of Personality Assessment and Research. University of Carlifornia at Berkeley. J Res Pers: Behavioral Manifestations of Narcissism in Everyday Life. 2010 Aug 1; 44(4): 478–484. doi: 10.1016/j.jrp.2010.06.001 Philipson, I. (1985), Gender and narcissism, Psychology of Women Quarterley, Vol. 9, pp. 213-228. Rhodewalt, F., Tragakis, M.W. and Finnerty, J. (2001), Narcissism and self-handicapping, Linking self-aggrandizement to behavior, Department of Psychology, University of Utah.
I find narcissism a very intriguing topic.
Absolutely right. The more we study them, the more we realize there are still so much more to learn and unlearn. Thanks for your comment.
I feel that us women who have gotten away from living with a narcissist, exhibit narcissistic traits that they have learned from that partner. When we leave we are free and empowered.
So right, Angela. living with a narcissist is damaging. This could make partner lack empathy.
but do they come back after they delete you and I mean everything delete
Narcissism is the same for both men and woman, is it not? Narcissism is narcissism, period.
Yes it is. ‘Psychology and I’ has series of articles on male narcissism. Some readers suggest we dedicate one also for female narcissism. Thanks for your point.
I know an extreme narcissist.. It troubles me with the extremes some go to, to make others believe they have a glowing halo shining above their othwise self importance. Horrid people to be around.
Thanks for sharing.
Just got out of a six year so called relasionship with a malignant narccasist female…how do i know??? Im completely destroyed!.. have spent 3 months researching narccasist… every single thing ive researched was my relationship to a T.
I can feel ur loss, why becomes the sole question n u try to find out everything related to that why.
Yet after lot of research u feel incomplete. She was never there. Just a shadow that promised to be a soul just by copying u. As i am suffering from Astrocytoma grade 2 due to her mind games, I can kill her bt i will not. I left her last year after getting suicidal thoughts. I dnt knw what would happen next, i cant defeat her bt i will live, may be sad or unhappy. Bt i will not let the devil smile over my graveyard. I will not defeat, NEVER
From what I read just now is everything that was in mine too. I’m nit for one minute saying that I’m innocent but it makes sense why I behaved the way I did ytowards her
We have several NARACISSTIC people in our family. They will make your life a living hell. No matter what you do for them or be as sweet to them you can not make them happy. It is all about them. They are not capable of even loving their own children they gave birth to. I have wasted 40 yrs trying to figure these people out. Now I understand why they act the way they do. Life is short don’t do as I have done. Let them know you love them but get on with your life and be around people who really love you for you. Have a great day and remember God loves you and knows your heart!
Yes I can relate to what is said about a NARACISSTIC persons, it doesn’t matter whether female or male. they both do the same. Gaslight, lie, cheat, they put on this false mask. It their way or highway, if you are good supply start this love bombing it just a front to hoover you in. No compassion if so it fake. When people realize who they are they will sabotage the relationship and use any means to control you. The logic of it all nothing will make any sense, the relationship didn’t excited anyhow. when they cut you off chances are they was trying really to destroy yo., They have gotten someone new in their life. It always about them and will not admit to No wrong at all, they start with their flying monkey campaign. Especially when they know you can expose them for who they really are. My opinion they are Demonic Posses. Cut them a loose and Pray keep on with you life. Don’t look back they can’t be trusted at all. These type of personality disorder know what they are and was not born this away either.